Bradford Museum and Galleries’ Learning Team are pleased to be able to welcome schools back. To allow schools to book workshops with confidence, we’re trying out Tuesdays as ‘Just for Schools’ days until the end of Autumn Term 2021 at all our sites. We will only be booking one school ‘bubble’ per site on Tuesdays and they will be the only visitors. Workshop bookings for these days will operate on a first come, first served basis. We are currently offering a reduced, Covid-secure, range of workshops. Please see below for the list of the workshops that are currently available.
If you are unable to visit us, details of other ways we can support your pupils’ learning are below the workshops list.
Bradford Industrial Museum
- Victorian Classroom
- Weaving in the Mill (including Industrial Revolution)
Cliffe Castle Museum
- Stone Age
- The Art and Science of Noticing
- Early Islamic civilisation
- Hockney Techniques
- Due to the size of the learning spaces at Bolling Hall Museum, we are currently unable to offer on-site workshops.
Outreach visits to schools
We are offering adapted versions of two of our most popular workshops as outreach:
- Hockney techniques (KS1 & KS2)
- Great Fire of London (KS1)
email: [email protected]
If the workshop you would like to access is not listed above, please contact us and we can let you know as soon as it is reinstated.
If you can’t visit us, we are still offering the following opportunities to give pupils vital opportunities to connect to, experience, and be inspired by our collections: more information about these opportunities can be found below the list.
- Film and activity ‘shorts’ based on our most popular school workshops which can be watched in the classroom, via a teacher led live lesson or other online learning.
- Downloadable ‘Proud to be from Bradford’ classroom or home learning resources. Proud to be from Bradford – everyone can do something amazing.
- ‘Talk’ dialogue boxes for classroom use.
- Health and well being resource boxes for classroom use.
- We also have lots of online ‘You Inspire Me To…’ activities, which can be done at home. Find all our 'Inspire me to...' activities here.
Film and activity ‘shorts’
We have created a series of short videos which explore and give information on museum/gallery objects followed by a demonstration of a hands-on creative, linked activity.
We currently have films on :
-David Hockney (5 films in total)
-The Art and Science of Noticing: Making Maps
- Great Grandma's Washdays
- Ancient Egyptians
- Victorian Classroom
And in the coming weeks we will have added more linked to :
-Early Islamic Civilisation
- Great Fire of London
- The Art & Science of Noticing: Objects
Contact [email protected] for details on how to access the films or for more details.
Downloadable Proud to be from Bradford resources
Help inspire your pupils with this series of resources and curriculum linked activities based on people from Bradford who have achieved amazing things. The resources use images from our photo archives and of objects from the museums with a range of tasks and activities for pupils to complete to find out more about these inspirational individuals. There are currently resources on :
- The Jowett brothers- Motorcar designers and makers KS1
- Ann Daniels – Record breaking Polar explorer KS2
- Abraham Sharp - mathematician and astronomer KS2 (links to Earth and Space, Early Islamic Civilisation)
- Magicians - Dynamo and Shahid Malik KS1/2
We are working on expanding these resources to include many more individuals and we would love to hear from you if you have any suggestions. Contact [email protected] to access these resources or for more details.
If you are a school in Bradford district you may qualify to receive one of our ‘dialogue’ boxes designed around 3 different areas of our collections and full of activities to get children talking and to promote good oracy practice. We have produced a run of these boxes themed on: Hockney, Habitats & Animals or Transport. Get in touch if you would like to know more or to see if your school qualifies. [email protected]
Health and well being resource boxes
The health and well being boxes are aimed at primary school children in Bradford District to help them reflect on their thoughts and feelings, whilst also completing some therapeutic and creative tasks linked to our collections. The boxes include a range of materials and instructions to support art-linked speaking and listening, journaling and sharing activities, along with ideas of how to encourage positive thinking/simple ways for children to talk and identify different emotions. For more details contact [email protected]
Our Museum and Galleries learning pages